Web Application Developer (PHP)
Category : IT Developer - PHP/Drupal
Location/City : NV - Las Vegas
CLARK COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER
Job Family: Information Systems
Classification: Support Staff
Terms of Employment: Pay Grade 62 on the Support Staff Salary Schedule
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
POSITION SUMMARY: Under general direction, manages, evaluates, programs, plans, creates, and maintains comprehensive web sites.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plans, schedules, and reviews the work of applications programming staff and activities.
2. Creates and programs the internal and external web pages.
3. Trains staff in work procedures and provides technical assistance in difficult situations as required.
4. Confers with schools/departments to review needs for creation of web-based programs or systems.
5. Designs and analyzes system requirements; develops system and programming specifications for web programmers.
6. Schedules all ongoing maintenance activities for assigned systems; reviews problems encountered by operations staff and schools/departments; analyzes efficiency of current system and procedures; and schedules modifications and enhancements.
7. Tracks project status and reviews work in progress to ensure conformance to plans and programming standards.
8. Keeps abreast of latest extensible Hypertext Markup Language [(x)HTML] specifications and web technologies; researches and recommends web development options.
9. Provides input into the evaluation of assigned staff.
10. Supervises assigned staff.
11. Conforms to safety standards as prescribed.
12. Performs other tasks related to the position as assigned.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: Involves the responsibility of performing systems analysis and programming of computer data system technologies for web sites.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (Position Expectations):
1. Ability to write and understand code in a scripting language (PHP).
4. Ability to transmit structured data by use of JSON/XML.
5. Ability to create and track metrics for site performance.
6. Knowledge of Cascading Style Shells (CSS) and Hypertext Markup Language (HTML5).
7. Knowledge of Actionscript.
8. Knowledge of shell scripting.
9. Knowledge of hardware and software troubleshooting in a Linux/Unix environment.
10. Ability to analyze system requirements/problems, develop new or modified programs, and select appropriate hardware and software for system design(s) to meet department needs.
11. Knowledge of system analysis and design procedures and techniques.
12. Ability to develop logical procedures, code steps into programming instructions, and develop tests to validate program design and load test programs.
13. Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software problems and to debug programs and applications.
14. Ability to learn operating principles and characteristics of various computers and associated computer hardware utilized by Clark County School District.
15. Ability to prepare clear and concise program documentation, user procedures/reports of work performed, and other written material.
16. Ability to exercise independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
17. Ability to contribute effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives, and activities.
18. Knowledge of new and emerging technologies and computer user applications.
19. Ability to recognize hazards and apply safe work methods.
20. Ability to make effective verbal, written, analytical, technical, and persuasive presentations to individuals/large groups.
21. Ability to manage several projects/programs simultaneously and maintain high-quality service while meeting goals.
22. Ability to work flexible hours or shifts.
23. Ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with District staff/vendors, other agencies, and the public.
24. Possess physical and mental stamina commensurate with the responsibilities of the position.
Education, Training, and Experience: High school graduation or other equivalent, (i.e., GED, college, technical, or trade school transcript, foreign equivalency, etc.); and, ten (10) years of professional work experience in advanced web programming in PHP interfacing with an enterprise database (MySQL or Oracle); or, Associate's degree in related field, (i.e., computer science, computing and information technology, etc.); and, six (6) years of professional work experience in advanced web programming in PHP interfacing with an enterprise database (MySQL or Oracle); or, Bachelor's degree in related field, (i.e., computer science, computing and information technology, etc.); and, four (4) years of professional work experience in advanced web programming in PHP interfacing with an enterprise database (MySQL or Oracle).
1. Bachelor's or associate's degree with emphasis in web programming.
2. One (1) year supervisory experience.
DOCUMENT(S) REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. High school graduation or other equivalent, (i.e., GED, college, technical, or trade school transcript, foreign equivalency, etc.).
2. College transcript(s) if applicable.
3. Resume with Online Portfolio/Website URL.
4. Specific documented evidence of training and experience to satisfy qualifications.
EXAMPLES OF ASSIGNED WORK AREAS: Clark County School District facilities - schools and/or administrative offices.
Strength: Sedentary to medium - exert force 20-50 lbs., occasionally; 10-25 lbs., frequently; up to 10 lbs., constantly; or a negligible amount of force to frequently lift, carry, push, pull, or move objects.
Physical Demands: Frequent sitting, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, handling, repetitive fine motor activities, talking, and hearing. Mobility to work in a typical office setting and use standard office equipment. Stamina to remain seated and maintain concentration for an extended period of time.
Hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone. Vision: Frequent near acuity; occasional far acuity and color vision. Vision to read printed materials and a VDT screen for long periods of time.
Environmental Conditions: Climate-controlled office settings with temperatures ranging from mild to moderate cold/heat. Exposure to noise levels ranging from moderate to loud for occasional to frequent time periods.
Hazards: Furniture, office equipment, communicable diseases, chemicals (as related to specific assignment), and power/hand-operated equipment and machinery (as related to specific assignment).
EXAMPLES OF EQUIPMENT/SUPPLIES USED TO PERFORM TASKS:
Various computers and other peripheral devices, printers, modems, computer software and/or hardware, audio/visual presentation materials, telephones, fax machines, etc.