Category : Accounting/Finance
Location/City : MA - Longmeadow
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the accuracy of the general ledger, assisting with creating, entering and maintaining the budget in Jenzabar. The Senior Accountant assists with the development and creation of timely and accurate financial reporting, both external and internal. The Senior Accountant addresses budgetary inquiries and reporting needs of departments, is responsible for developing financial reports using InfoMaker, Excel, and Access. The Senior Accountant is responsible for the preparation of supporting audit schedules, and assists the Controller with a wide variety of budget, fiscal and audit tasks.
- Assist in preparation of annual, monthly, and ad-hoc financial statements.
- Review and approve the creation of new general ledger accounts.
- Serve as backup to the Accounts Payable Specialist, and Staff Accountant.
- Prepare adjusting and closing entries.
- Enter and modify budget amounts in Jenzabar.
- Maintain budget user role security within Jenzabar.
- Review charges and supporting documentation received monthly from employees with University issued credit cards. Ensure compliance with purchasing policies and prepare entries to correctly allocate credit card charges to cost center budget lines.
- Account for fixed assets and depreciation.
- Perform periodic review of processes/functions that generate financial transactions to ensure adherence to policies and procedures.
- Provide financial information requested for approved external surveys and reports.
- Create and analyze monthly budget to actual reports for submission to management.
- Write and run reports that will assist in the preparation of the annual budget, financial statement, and other fiscal reports using tools such as InfoMaker, Access, and Excel.
- Assist in the review and documentation of internal controls, business office policies & procedures, and make recommendations for improvements.
- Assist in the calculation of the University's indirect cost rate.
- Review and make necessary corrections to the general ledger to ensure accuracy.
- Responsible for financial portion of the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) reporting.
- Assist in the preparation of forms: 990, 990T, Mass PC, Mass 990T.
- Complete special projects as directed by the Controller.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- Preferred minimum of 3 years in higher education accounting function.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Appropriate computer skills for accounting functions.
- Must have good working knowledge of accounting principles, auditing standards, fund accounting principles, and federal and state regulations.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and principles.
- Must be able to apply technical knowledge in solving problems.
- Must have excellent organizational and analytical skills and be detail oriented.
- Strong accounting and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to follow University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.